Sunday, September 06, 2009

Stoaked

I was the lucky recipient of a humourous afternoon today. After flailing around all morning trying to get my head on straight from the epic road ride I did yesterday, I finally got out for a cruise out to Mugu Rock. On my way out, a guy in casual clothes on a MTB made turned in front of me through an intersection, putting him about 100 meters or so in front of me. This guy had his head down, arms in a tuck, and kept looking back to see how far away I was from him. Eventually he started swerving a bit, while the gap was more or less staying the same. One of his swerves put him on the wrong side of the pavement and into a ditch, which he was (quite impressively) able to ride out of without loosing much speed. Eventually I caught up to him, and we starting talking. He was telling me he had been watching the Veulta. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as happy as this guy seemed to be. He said "those guys are going like 30 mph!!!" Just after he says this, he sprints up to said speed. I was being towed down PCH at 30mph by some dude on a mtb in baggies while he was looking back yelling "can you believe they go this fast for the whole time?!?" He then described his love for the local wildlife.
When I arrived at the far point in my ride, we parted ways. He said he was probably going to ride all night because the next day was labor day, and it would be bright enough from the nearly full moon.
I wish there were more people like Dave. So stoaked on everything, and I don't think he was high or handicapped.
I called Nick Weighall (who is with the Cal-Giant this year) to tell him about my afternoon, as I know he appreciates super pumped guys like Dave.
As I finished my story he said "Dude! That's so sick! I .... Uh-oh. Oh sh-t. I'm at Holly's (his girlfriend) house and the toilet is about to overflow. I'll call you back."
It was indeed the surface tension that saved him from a rather unforunate incident.

And now it's time for breakfast for dinner.

No comments: